Recently after uninstalling Visual Studio 11 Beta from my machine I noticed that I was no longer able to work on Analysis Services cube projects or anything that utilized data visualization tools within Visual Studio 2010.
Any time I opened a cube project and attempted to edit the data source view or the cube itself I’d receive an error message that would ultimately cause Visual Studio to crash. I’d receive the following error message: "The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)"
As you can imagine this was rather frustrating. I tried the following things to fix the issue none of which worked:
- Repair on Visual Studio
- Repair on SQL Server 2012
- Uninstalling and reinstalling SQL Server Data Tools
After doing some additional reading online I stumbled across this forum topic where I was able to find a solution that worked. Currently I’m using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 with SQL Server 2012 installed, however, this solution should work if you use a previous version of SQL server as well.
The steps that worked for me in the end were:
- Delete the entire C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\MSDesigners8 directory and all its contents
- If you aren’t currently using SQL Server 2012, you will also need to delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Visual Database Tools\dsref80.dll
- Run the Visual Studio 2010 repair tool found in the Visual Studio Installer
Once the repair finishes you’ll need to reboot your computer. This should fix all the issues you were having, hope this helps!