Posted on 4/6/2013 8:53:26 PM
I had a requirement to create an “exceptions list” on an extract to exclude certain employees from the extract. This exceptions list needed to be easily managed by non-technical business users, so it needed to have an easy to use interface. In addition to this it needs to be up and accessible at any point in time because the process that generates the extract is an automated job runs after hours. All the data in the extract resides in SQL server tables.
My first thoughts were to create a table to hold the exceptions on the same server that the database and use Business Connectivity Services (BCS) to update the table. However, if you’ve ever worked with BCS before you know the initial setup can be a little time consuming and tedious to move from environment to environment (DEV -> TST -> PRD). So, after thinking about it for a while I came up with a solution that I am happy with: use a generic list in SharePoint and within my RDL file reference that list as a dataset and use that dataset to populate a parameter that is sent to the SQL query.
Depending on your requirements you may want to create a more advanced list, but since that isn’t the focus of this article, I’m going to stick with a very basic list. You can find more detailed instructions on how to create a list in SharePoint 2010 here.
CREATE PROCEDURE MyDatabase.[dbo].GetEmployees (@MySharePointParameter VARCHAR(MAX))
WHERE E.EmployeeName NOT IN(SELECT * from Split(@MySharePointParameter, ','))
This seems like a lot of steps, but it is actually fairly quick to implement. It is a lot less painful than setting up BCS to accomplish the same thing. It also provides the business with a quick and easy way to add as many exceptions as they’d like without breaking the query or requiring developer interaction. Hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know!
Posted on 12/19/2012 11:26:04 PM
Recently I’ve been doing a lot more work in SharePoint, specifically 2010. As anyone who has worked in SharePoint for any amount of time knows it has a lot of quirks! One that recently has been giving me some troubles is the error message “Unable to delete content type. The content type is in use.” This was troubling to me because I knew I had deleted all the lists and everything that was referencing the content type.
Finally after digging around on the internet I came across a solution:
After you’ve deleted all the lists that you know of you need to also delete them from the Site Collection recycle bins as well. You’ll need to be Site Collection Admin in order to do the following.
This helped me resolve the Content Type in use issue. Hope it helps!
Posted on 8/26/2012 7:09:18 PM
In addition to this, since I was already revamping the whole site, I figured I’d utilize responsive design techniques to make my site mobile friendly as well. If you are unfamiliar with what responsive web design is I recommend checking out Digital Inspiration’s Responsive Web Design – A Dummies Guide. It will get you up to speed on what it is and how to implement it on your site.
To get started I utilized Zurb’s Foundation Framework. This helped grasp the basics of responsive design and gave me a good starting point to go off of. Once I got rolling and really understood how it worked I customized a lot of the underlying CSS within the framework to make it my own.
Since I’ve finished my undergraduate degree and now have a nice fulltime job, I should have a lot more time to focus on this project, as well as a few others that I’ve been considering. This has been a huge undertaking completely redoing the site and there are still a couple of bugs (mostly in the CSS) that I’ve added to my backlog, but over all I’m very happy with where the site stands right now and hope to start releasing more beneficial content.